Skip to main content

Frontier Settlement and Pioneer Life

Fort Osage

Established in 1808 under the superintendence of William Clark, Fort Osage served as a US military outpost and a government trading factory. Situated on a high bluff overlooking the Missouri River near the present town of Sibley in Jackson County, Missouri, the installation consisted of an upright log palisade with four blockhouses, a connected two-cabin factory store with a cellar, barracks for the soldiers, and assorted other buildings. After its closing in the 1820s, the abandoned fort fell into disrepair and ruin.

Subscribe to Frontier Settlement and Pioneer Life